“Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these episodes?”
The Scoop: 2002 PG-13, Directed by Malcolm D. Lee and starring Eddie Griffin, Denise Richards, David Chappelle and Aunjanue Ellis
Tagline: He’s All Action
Summary Capsule: African-American super-spies battle the forces of Mr. The Man
Justin’s Rating: Looks like someone’s auditioning for Soul Train!
Justin’s Review: How to cook a good Undercover Brother:
- A pinch of Soul, with a capital “S”
- 1 Cup Eddie Griffin’s smile, which can light up the night sky and my heart in a single grin
- 3 Tsp. Denise Richards in leather one size too small
- 1 1/2 lbs. of pure, righteous funk (George Clinton, come on down)
- 1 accidental whisker of a rat named Chris Kattan that fell in the bowl
- Some fire. Fire good. Fire make things hot and burn and bacon crispy.
- Get in the right mood to watch a somewhat-silly comedy that blends together elements of Shaft, “Doogie Howser M.D.,” “Roots” and Austin Powers.
- Clear out of the house anyone who is “in the mood” for a Victorian-era period drama. Shoot to kill, if necessary.
- Gather together a beverage of choice and a snack of choice (we recommend IBC Root Beer coupled with Red Hot Cheetos). Sink down into the couch and let your belly be free of the Belt Buckle Regime.
- If skin is of light-tone variety, spend a couple anxious minutes wondering if a film flinging counter-racial comments about in such a tongue-in-cheek manner can be construed as actually racist. Then come to the realization that there is such a thing as being way too politically correct, and just chill out.
- Keep mistaking Eddie Griffin for that Orlando Bloom guy in Evolution, despite the fact that they look nothing alike.
- Hoot and holler when Doogie Hoswer makes a complete patootey of himself as the whitest-of-white interns at a mostly African-American spy organization. Nod knowingly as you ponder that Doogie is paying for his sins through cinematic purgatory.
- Use a free appendage to dial up a bored friend and lament that Undercover Brother is about sixteen times better than that other 70s spy spoof, Austin Powers 3.
- Giggle like a girl and belch like a stud, secure in the knowledge that you don’t have to worry about others’ opinions of your hygiene or movies. At least, not for another hour.
- Doogie Howser singing… shudder!
- Yes! Golf cart chase!
- When Chi McBride is in his office, he says, “I’m gettin’ too old for this sh**!” He then looks up at a picture of Danny Glover, who has said the same line in all of the Lethal Weapon films.
- Anton Jackson says “Hollywood really *is* out to get Spike Lee?” Spike Lee is director Malcolm D. Lee’s cousin.
- The moves Lance uses on the three security guards are all “Fatalities” from Mortal Kombat
- The left side of the island was deliberately designed to resemble the letter M, for “Man”.
- Rumor has it that Denise Richards was incensed about certain body modifications made on the official poster, which was subsequently changed.
- Based on a series of internet flash cartoons.
Conspiracy Brother: George Washington Carver made the first computer! Out of a peanut! A PEA-NUT!
Jackson: Wait a minute, how’d the white boy get a job at the B.R.O.T.H.E.R.H.O.O.D.?
The Chief: What can I say? Affirmative action.
Lance: I *feel* black.
Conspiracy Brother: But you *look* white…don’t touch me!
Conspiracy Brother: “Hi”? What you mean “hi”? Like “high yellow wanna be white”? “High” like the *white man* wants to keep us? Wait, you don’t smell any weed on me, do you?
Jackson: Brother, when you get a minute, could I get a list of the words that trigger these episodes?
Jackson: Honey, is that Michael Bolton’s version of “The Thong Song”?
General Boutwell: I used to work at the Pentagon, but now I help get your chicken on.
The Chief: I’m tired of you disrespecting me! Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t fire your black ass?
Jackson: Because I…don’t…work for you?
The Chief: SHUT UP! Save the smart comments for the chunky brother in the smock!
Conspiracy Brother: Jesus Christ: black man. Babe Ruth: black man. Madonna:…slept with black men.
Conspiracy Brother: Oh my God! It’s Macy Gray with Porkchop Sideburns.
Jackson: You know what they say, behind every great black…
Conspiracy Brother: …is the police!
Lance: [screeching] I… am not… a sissy!
If you liked this movie, try these:
- Austin Powers in Goldmember
- The Ladies Man
- I’m Gonna Get You, Sucka!